Intervention Orders (IVO) Lawyers VIC

Seek the protection you deserve with a skilled IVO lawyer by your side. For a free case evaluation on how to navigate your intervention order, call us at 1800 572 122 – we’re here to support you every step of the way.





In Victoria, What is an Intervention Order (IVO)?

In Victoria, Intervention Orders provide legal protection to adults or children against another person who may expose them to personal violence. The following are the two main types of intervention orders

1) Personal Safety Intervention Orders (PSIO)

Personal Safety Intervention Orders (PSIOs) are designed to protect people who are not related to each other, such as neighbours and former friends or colleagues, but do not fall within the scope of family violence protection legislation. PSIOs are issued to restrain a person who has previously committed an offence against the protected person or has shown themselves a potential danger to the protected person. PSIOs can be applied for by anyone without the need for that person to be related to the respondent.

Book Your Free Consult

2) Family Violence Intervention Orders

A Family Violence Intervention Order is intended to protect a person from a family member who is using family violence (harmful or abusive behaviour between family members that causes fear). It includes emotional and financial abuse as well as physical violence and sexual abuse. It can make a family member fear the safety of their property, another family member, or an animal.

Children who hear, see, or are around family violence are also covered by the law. This is especially the case when the child:

  • Comforts or helps a family member that has been physically or emotionally abused
  • Sees property inside their home that has been damaged as a result of family violence
  • Is at a family violence incident when the police arrive

Police have a duty to respond to all reports of family violence – even when you do not want them to. The safety of children and family violence victims in particular are highly prioritised.

Book Your Free Consult


Family Violence Safety Notices

Family Violence Safety Notices may be issued by a Sergeant of Police or higher rank when they have responded to an incident of family violence and there is no Intervention Order currently in place.
In order for a Notice to be issued, the Police member must believe on reasonable grounds that the Notice is necessary in order to ensure:

  1. the safety of the affected family member;
  2. and/or preserve any property of the affected family member;
  3. and/or to protect a child who has been subjected to family violence committed by the recipient of the Notice.

The Notice will have effect until the issue of whether a Family Violence Intervention Order or Interim Order is decided by a Court. Police may also apply for Family Violence Intervention Orders at the Magistrates’ Court if they deem it necessary.

Book Your Free Consult


Interim Orders

Interim Orders can be obtained in Family Violence and Personal Safety proceedings. They are usually obtained ex parte, which means that the person upon whom the order is ultimately served has no idea that an application for it has been made. An interim order accompanies an application for a final order and a summons to attend court. An interim order has the same effect as a final order but only lasts until the proceedings finish. If an application for a final order is refused, the interim order ceases to exist.

Book Your Free Consult


Why Choose My Legal Crunch IVO Lawyers

At My Legal Crunch, we combine affordable legal services with unparalleled flexibility, ensuring our lawyers are available when you need them most. We’re committed to providing sincere, strategic legal advice, aiming to clear a path through your legal challenges and position you for the best possible outcomes. Our approach is designed around your needs, offering both convenience and clarity in navigating the complexities of your case.

Book Your Free Consult

Contact Us for a Free Consultation

Meet the Team

Michael Rodrigues


Michael represents matters related to Family, Criminal, Corporate, and Employment Law. He is a skilled negotiator and advocate who have helped numerous clients.

Malcolm Burrows


Malcolm is the Principal of Dundas Lawyers and a consulting lawyer to My Legal Crunch. He is experienced and knowledgeable Australian lawyer specialising in commercial, corporate, technology and intellectual property law.


How do you apply for a Family Violence Intervention Order?

To protect family members, family violence intervention orders can be applied for at your local Magistrates’ Court. If you need protection from family violence immediately, a magistrate can put in place an interim intervention order until both sides can come to court. If you fear for your children’s safety, you can apply for an intervention order on their behalf as long as they are under 18 years of age.

Applications for intervention orders are made by ‘applicants’. This could be a police officer or another person who is seeking protection from family violence. If an intervention order is put in place, the person it will protect is called an ‘affected family member’ (AFM) while the application is being processed, or a ‘protected person’ once the order is made. Conditions to stop the respondent from using family violence against the AFM can be included in an intervention order. If the respondent breaks the conditions of an intervention order, they can be charged with a criminal offence.

Police can also apply for family violence intervention orders if they see that it is necessary.

What can the police do once a Family Violence Intervention Order is made?

If a Family Violence Safety Notice, Interim Order, or Final Order is issued, police may:

be at the house when the Respondent collects their things to oversee the protection of the person and property
search for and remove any weapons
arrest and change the Respondent with a criminal offence (if seen disobeying any of the orders or notices)

What happens if the Respondent breaks an Intervention Order?

Breaking the conditions of a family violence intervention order is very serious.

The police should be notified immediately if the Respondent to an intervention order breaks the conditions.

If you are charged with breaking the conditions of an intervention order, you should get legal advice.

If a respondent breaks the conditions of an intervention order, family violence safety notice or a counselling order, the police can charge them with a criminal offence. This is called a breach.

The court takes breaches of intervention orders very seriously. If the court finds the respondent guilty, they can be given:

a prison sentence
a fine
a good behaviour bond or other penalty.
The respondent will also have a criminal record.

How do you report a breach of an Intervention Order?

Write down dates, times and exactly what happened and what was said. This makes it easier for the police to take action against the Respondent.

No breach is trivial. Even driving past the protected person’s house is significant if the Respondent has been ordered not to go within 200 metres of it. The protected person can tell the police and report it.

The police must act on a report that the respondent has broken the conditions. They should take a signed statement from the person making the report.

They will interview the respondent and any witnesses before deciding whether to lay any charges.

If you are unhappy with police action, you can make a complaint.

What happens if the protected person moved interstate?

Since 25 November 2017, any intervention order made in Victoria is enforceable interstate. Police must uphold the order, but if you are the parent named in an intervention order and you plan to take your children interstate, it is important to seek legal advice.

What happens if an application has been made against you?

If an application for a family violence intervention order is made against you, the police will give you:

a copy of the application, which will describe in detail what the applicant (person applying for an intervention order) says you have done
a summons, which includes details about the court date.
At court you will be called ‘the respondent’ because you are responding to an application.

The police may also serve you with:

a family violence safety notice
an interim intervention order
a warrant for your arrest
The police will arrest you if there is a warrant. You can ask to speak with a lawyer if you are taken into custody.

It is inappropriate to verbally abuse law enforcement, even if you are upset about the current situation. Doing so will only make it more difficult to resolve the problem.

Will you get a criminal record if you have an Intervention Order applied against you?

A criminal record is not kept if you have an intervention order taken out against you. The action being taken is civil, not criminal; therefore, it is not considered a criminal offence. However, if you break the conditions of an intervention order, it becomes a criminal matter. You may be charged by the police with a criminal offence.

Contact Us for a Free Case Evaluation

If your ready to take the next step, lets chat about how we can help to get your life back on track. Call us at: 1800 572 122 to arrange an informal chat. We are here to help every step of the way. Please note that My Legal Crunch does not provide legal aid services.